twitter




Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Book Dedication?

My friend has asked me for help. My friend is publishing her first book and wants to dedicate the book to someone. Well, this someone wants to turn it down.





I think it is rude and it's not up to that person to decide. It is up to my friend, the author, to decide.





If someone wanted to dedicated their book to me, I would be so honored. Do you think so?
Book Dedication?
I would be honored as well, but I would assume it depends on how well-written the book is. If the person who was dedicated doesn't feel it's ready, then he or she probably doesn't want to be embarassed in a book that still needs TONS of work.





But that's just my opinion.
Book Dedication?
1st of all, find out why he/she wants to turn it down. Maybe it's for privacy reasons, in which case, it is perfectly legit, and there is no reason to be mad.





2nd of all, Did this person help a lot in the writing proccess? He/She may not feel that they have contributed enough to be considered for such a great honor.





3rd, a gift wouldn't hurt, but that could also be insulting to the author, who may well be offended. Just have this person explain why they have refused this honor.
Reply:Albeit it does sound rude, it's not unheard of. I think it may largely be due to privacy. Think of it from this person's point of view: No matter how nice it is that the author is including the person's name, perhaps they don't WANT to have their name released to the public. It's their perogative, and it is partially up to that person, not the author, to decide.





There are various reasons one may not want to have a book dedicated to them. It is nice that your friend thought of this person but should respect the decision of him/her to not want to be published.





And a present is a nice gesture, but I don't think it's warranted. This person just didn't want to be dedicated to. If s/he says that it's not because of the author, then it's not because of the author. A gift wouldn't make the statement any more true.


No comments:

Post a Comment