twitter




Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Books about hitting the open road?

I am looking for a novel about leaving everything behind and just driving across America. Something in the same vein as Kerouac's On the Road would be good. Any suggestions?
Books about hitting the open road?
Peter Jennings did two: Walk Across America


William Least Heat Moon did Blue Highways, about driving across the backroads of America


John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley is a minor classic (Charley was his dog)





UPDATE: I reread your question and you want only FICTION, right? Then Huckleberry Finn, which is the essential American road trip. Also:


The Reivers by William Faulkner


Dog of the South by Charles Portis
Books about hitting the open road?
been there and done that, in 2002 I was with some Friends in EL Centro Calif, they left me at a motel and skipped out. by the time I paid for the room I had to make my way back to Denver with no money. I got lucky and got some good rides. so be careful and don't trust someone to go with you, go it alone.If you ever get up this way let me know, but I work in the summer in Calif near the col. river just email me
Reply:Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck - He and his dog Charley traveled all over America in a pickup truck with camper shell and met all sorts of interesting people.


No comments:

Post a Comment